Thursday, March 1, 2007

Warm Up Your Audio Editing Software!

Lunchtime Poll: Make Your Favorite Record Better

This topic has already been discussed of course, most notably one memorable night in the Sunset District (with a certain pony-tailed philosopher who will go unnamed). But let's make it official for the record. The only rule is that you can name only one song. Below is my list. Some of these songs aren't really that bad, but I almost always skip them one way or another. Let the passions fly:

"Til There Was You" - With The Beatles
"Wait" - Rubber Soul
"Yellow Submarine" - Revolver
"Sex Machine" - Stand! (Sly & The Family Stone)
"Only Love Can Break Your Heart" - After The Gold Rush (Neil Young) - this was the single!
"Evil Woman" - Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath)
"The Motivator" - Electric Warrior (T.Rex)
"Four Sticks" - Led Zeppelin IV
"Indian Sunset" - Madman Across The Water (Elton John)
"Brooklyn" - Can't Buy A Thrill (Steely Dan)
"There's A World" - Harvest (Neil Young)
"Loves Me Like A Rock" - There Goes Rhymin' Simon (Paul Simon)
"Zawinul/Lava" - Another Green World (Brian Eno)
"I'm In Touch With Your World" - The Cars (The Cars)
"Lovers Rock" - London Calling (The Clash)
"Red Light" - War (U2)
"Meat Is Murder" - Meat Is Murder (The Smiths)
"Anywhere I Lay My Head" - Rain Dogs (Tom Waits)
"Live To Tell" - The Immaculate Collection (Madonna)
"Zoo Station" - Achtung Baby (U2)
"Bring It On Down" - Definitely Maybe (Oasis)
"Tracy Jacks" - Parklife (Blur)
"Cast No Shadow" - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (Oasis)
"Garden Grove" - Sublime (Sublime)
"In The Lost And Found (Honky Bach)" - Figure 8 (Elliott Smith)

5 comments:

yoggoth said...

I agree with Lovers Rock but how could you skip any song on Rain Dogs??

Little Earl said...

I always thought the album should have ended with "Bride of a Rain Dog" and left it at that. It brings the album back to its carnivalesque beginnings after the normalcy of "Downtown Train." One more song after "Bride" just makes the album seem more thematically incoherent than it really is, like he just kept putting songs on there because he had them around (like Sandinista! or something). Plus, I never really liked the song. To be honest, sometimes I even skip "Hang Down Your Head," "Time" and "Blind Love," because I'm still not sure how I feel about Waits' ballads. But sometimes I don't skip those songs. It's still one of the greatest albums ever, regardless.

Maybe this would be better discussed when I arrive at Rain Dogs in my Tom Waits series (if I ever live that long).

Leni said...

Garden Grove is a great song! smelt like lou-dog in the van... good stuff. And did anyone EVER listen to Yellow Submarine?

Little Earl said...

Sublime's s/t should have opened with "What I Got." It's a no-brainer, folks. If they wanted "Garden Grove" on the album that badly, they should have at least stuck it in the middle somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Live to Tell? You can't use a Greatest Hits collection in your reasoning, I call foul!