Monday, May 7, 2007

3 to the 5 to the Top

Bob Dylan songs

1. Visions of Johanna
2. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
3. Love Minus Zero/No Limit
4. The Times They Are A-Changin'
5. Tangled Up in Blue

Four of the above can make me tear up in the first 10 seconds. I guess I'm a softie. Hurricane and Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall could go in at #4. It's interesting how the #4 spot is the one I care least about.

Velvet Underground Songs

1. Sweet Jane
2. Venus In Furs
3. Rock 'n Roll
4. All Tomorrow's Parties
5. I'm Waiting for the Man


Talking Heads Songs

1. Once in a Lifetime
2. This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
3. Life During Wartime
4. Sugar on My Tongue
5. Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)

Honorable Mention -- Animals

Somedays Animals is my #1 and I just sit in my car with that song on repeat laughing to myself.

1 comment:

Little Earl said...

"Visions of Johanna" and "The Times They Are A-Changin'" were in the running for my Dylan Top 5. As I said, even though I knock the guy all the time, there are at least 15-20 Dylan songs that I really, really like, and I wouldn't find it hard to come up with several different top 5's. There are the famous candidates: "It Ain't Me Babe," "Like A Rolling Stone," "Subterranean Homesick Blues," "Positively 4th Street," "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," "Hurricane." Then there are the more obscure ones: "Gates of Eden," "Ballad of a Thin Man," "Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat," "This Wheel's On Fire" (Basement Tapes Version), "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight," "I Threw It All Away."

I see that we agree on the awesomeness of "Venus In Furs" as well.