Thursday, October 25, 2007

Tom Stoppard on Pink Floyd...sort of

Yoggoth recently called my attention to an article in Vanity Fair by playwright Tom Stoppard about how Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett apparently inspired his latest theatrical effort. I've read the article twice now and I still don't understand what the hell Syd Barrett had to do with his play, but that's neither here nor there. What's interesting (and what Yoggoth knew I would appreciate) is that Tom Stoppard agrees with me that Barrett-era Pink Floyd isn't all that great and he doesn't understand why his friend would call Waters/Gilmour-era Pink Floyd "lugubrious, pretentious." Also, Stoppard's comments about having "no understanding of music, none at all" remind me ever-so-slightly of similarly enthusiastic statements that have come from the mouth of my fellow blogger. Although I've occasionally poked fun at him for his musical naivete, ultimately I agree. Who needs to "understand" music anyway? I say the less understanding the better. Well, maybe it depends. Maybe the best musicians need to find a good balance of understanding and naivete. Actually, that's sort of what Pink Floyd did, come to think of it. Oh yeah!

2 comments:

yoggoth said...

I wish I knew more about music theory but I have a hard time translating what I read in books into musical notation and from that into actual sound. I often wish there was an explanation of music using numbers to directly represent the relationship between notes. When I read about music theory I end up scribbling my own rough translation as I go along. If I knew more about it, maybe the system would seem more logical.

I also wish that my parents had forced me to play an instrument in school. Stupid 1960's respect for children's opinions.

Little Earl said...

I think my parents tried to get me to take a couple of piano lessons but it didn't last long. My crowning achievement was a piece called "Happy Fingers."