Monday, April 23, 2007

Now Playing

So I found a copy of the 2001:A Space Odyssey Soundtrack in my pile of records and I have to say, Kubrick was cheating. I just watched the sunset and was spooked out. Just a normal sunset, no volcanoes or dramatic cloudscapes to gussy it up, and it was more disturbing than watching Blow-Up alone and in a romantic mood.

No wonder a camera spinning around some crappy models seemed impressive. Now that I think about it, where would Star Trek be without the great theme music--original and Next Generation? Can you make a movie about space without some sort of Bachsploitation soundtrack? Would anyone but science majors and their prospective suitors enjoy it? Maybe I need to make a silent movie in space, in the interest of realism! OR a reggae movie set in space. What's a reggae movie? Stay Tuned.

3 comments:

Little Earl said...

Oh you mock him, but the cold hard truth is that no one, NO ONE had ever thought to use classical music in a science fiction film before. Once they saw 2001 they thought, "Of course! It's so preposterous and yet it's so natural."

Also there are plenty of moments in 2001 where it's either dead silent or all you hear is Dave breathing through his helmet.

yoggoth said...

Wait, someone must have used classical music in some cheesy science fiction movie before that!

Little Earl said...

Nope, no one, not a SINGLE person, ever. I have seen every science fiction film before that, so I can assure you.