Saturday, April 7, 2007

I Cooked The Pasta Too Long

It's funny the things that bother you sometimes. Even though pasta is usually just the "too tired to cook a real dinner, let's just cook pasta since it only takes ten minutes" kind of meal, I have to say, I do enjoy it more when it's just the right texture. But achieving this balance proved too daunting of a task for me this evening. I had one bag of macaroni pasta which was only about 1/3 full. I wasn't sure that would be enough to satisfy my hunger, and I've learned from too many disturbing nights that if I don't make enough pasta, I'll be too hungry to fall asleep and I'll just have to cook something else later on anyway, so I always try to make too much rather than too little. So I decided to open up the bag of lasagna-style pasta, and put a little bit of that in there as well. But you see, here came the tricky part: the maraconi needed to cook for 8 to 10 minutes, while the lasagna needed to cook for only 6-8 minutes. Simple enough, right? Well you see I was so cocky about my abilities in this area that I didn't even time it, I just sort of estimated. Somewhere along the line I must have miscalculated. Maybe I got the times mixed up. I was so sure that I had it. But no, the macaroni ended up way too soggy. It had been a long time since I'd really had soggy pasta, and it was a shock to realize how unsatisfying it could be. The meal still served its purpose, but the sogginess has strengthened my resolve to get it right the next time.

No comments: