Sunday, February 27, 2011

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremonies: The YouTube Clips Playing In My Dreams

If there's one thing in the world I love, it's Arrowhead's Puffed Wheat Cereal. But another thing I really love is hearing my favorite musicians talk about some of my other favorite musicians.

I once had the good fortune to catch the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on VH1 back in 1999. It was delightful to hear Ray Charles induct Billy Joel, Neil Young induct Paul McCartney, and Bono induct Bruce Springsteen. It was like my very own musical subconscious sloshing around and stirring itself into new combinations. "Hey, there's that guy...talking about that guy!" "I didn't realize that guy knew that guy." "Wow, so that guy's a fan of that guy." I thought to myself, "Man, I could watch these all day."

And now I can, thanks to The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum's official YouTube channel! I just don't think I can ever get my fill of the inescapably positive vibe these speeches exude. "Wasn't that band awesome?" "No, your band was awesome." "No, no, your band was awesome." "No, no, no, really, your band was awesome." So many of these bands were so awesome. And a couple of these speeches, like Pete Townsend's, border on roast territory.

While I can't post every worthwhile clip, and I recommend simply surfing around here, below are some particular favorites:

Mick Jagger inducts The Beatles:



Pete Townsend inducts The Rolling Stones:



Neil Young inducts Paul McCartney:



Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne inducts George Harrison:



Olivia and Dhani Harrison acceptance speech:



Beach Boys acceptance speech:



Brian Wilson inducts the Bee Gees:



Moby inducts Steely Dan:



Steely Dan's acceptance speech:



Elton John inducts Elvis Costello:



The Edge inducts The Clash:



The Clash's acceptance speech



Jann Wenner accepts on behalf of the Sex Pistols:



Metallica inducts Black Sabbath:



Flea inducts Metallica:

No comments: