Thursday, August 6, 2009

That's our Slate!

Ahhh Slate, how you tease me with your headlines. Today John Hughes died. Checking Slate I see they already have an article with the intriguing headline "John Hughes, Closet Republican?". Hmm, this should be interesting, I naively think to myself. And in typical Slate fashion, the article doesn't address the headline at all, and in this case, there's not even an article! There's just a short paragraph announcing his death and a youtube montage clip of moments from the Breakfast Club. Thanks guys, keep up the great writing. Oh, how much do you get paid again?

2 comments:

Little Earl said...

I don't know, this seems like a bit of a Slate cheap shot. They usually don't post a proper obituary until about a day later (which Dana Stevens eventually did on Hughes). You've got to know the rules of the game before you click, that's all. And you got burned.

Let us, instead, make fun of Slate for the multi-part series "How Is America Going To End," Richard Bernstein's nasty response to a Slate review of his own book about Oriental sex, and an article titled "Barack Obama's Facebook Feed."

As for John Hughes, I love Ferris Bueller's Day Off but have never actually seen any of his other, Molly Ringwald-featuring works. He seems like one of those directors who is praised because he made better-than-average movies in a silly genre. But some of them are probably worth a look I suppose.

Herr Zrbo said...

A cheap shot? I find that Slate does this all the time, they present you with an intriguing headline, but when you read the article you realize they never really addressed the headline, or they only addressed it tangentialy. I bet I could find some article that's up right now that pulls the same stunt. It drives me mad.