Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Classic Alternative

That's right I'm fucking blogging, I'm on vacation dammit. So I'm barbecuing with friends tonight in Salem, Oregon - the capital of your 33rd state (the only state which has a dual-sided flag, state symbol on the front, beaver on the back). We decided to turn on some music, flipping to the music channel stations on the TV. These channels include all sorts of different genres of music, everything from the "Big Band" channel, 70s/80s/90s channels, to the reggae and hip hop channels. I then noticed that they had a "modern alternative" channel and a "classic alternative" channel.

"Classic alternative?" we thought.

Lo and behold, a new label of music has been born. "Classic Alternative" is where it's all at for all you old X-geners. Honestly, I'm not sure how I think about this. In one way it makes me feel old and that my identity has fallen into some new prescribed demographic, in another way, I just don't give a shit. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Little Earl said...

I'm not sure how you think about this either. Maybe with your head tilted to a 20 degree angle? As to "how you feel" about it, or "what you think" about it, only you can say. Yes, I'm being a jerk.

Anyway, I'm sure the "Alternative" that they're referring to is essentially the mainstream American rock of the early-to-mid '90s. Unless they're playing the Pixies and very early R.E.M., then I don't know if I can really support their classification. Did you happen to catch a glimpse of their playlists?

Speaking of "alternative," I have in front of me a flier for the Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival. Let's start at the top: "Pearl Jam." OK, think I can miss this thing. "Dave Matthews Band." OK, I will definitely try to be out of the city this particular weekend. And how do Ween, Modest Mouse, Built To Spill, and Calexico feel about being billed beneath Incubus and Black Eyed Peas?

Anonymous said...

Really amazing blog..


Thank you so much...
___________________
Andrew
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels