Monday, September 29, 2008

There Is A God aka Brewers Make The Playoffs

Lord, I am not a religious man. I don't ask for much in this life. I try to eke out a humble, simple existence for myself. But now I know you're out there, watching me, watching Ryan Braun hit a walk-off grand slam last Thursday, watching the New York Mets collapse on the last day of the season for the second year in a row, watching CC Sabathia pitch a complete game victory to clinch the National League Wild Card for the Brew Crew. I know you care.

Granted, you had them blow a 5 1/2 game lead at the start of September, and had them fire Ned Yost with only twelve games to play, which was kind of torturous in that "chop off your fingers one by one" sort of way, but who am I to judge? You work in mysterious ways.

I will ask for nothing more. Except, just, could the Dodgers be eliminated in the first round? No, you know what, I don't really care about that. I am satisfied. I can only ask for so much. My three biggest wishes at the mid-point of the season? 1) Brewers make the playoffs; 2) Yankees miss the playoffs; 3) Tampa Bay Rays make the playoffs. Well guess what? You are the genie, I rubbed the lamp, and I'm all out.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. And yes, for the first time since Reagan was president, the Milwaukee Brewers are advancing to the playoffs. Where they will promptly lose in three games to the Phillies, but it doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter.

Oh, and God? A word of warning: if you happen to be out driving around on any roads in the entire state of Wisconsin the next few days, you might want to keep an eye out. Hell hath no fury like a celebratory Brewers fan.

2 comments:

Herr Zrbo said...

Well, they lost the first game. Keep prayin'

Little Earl said...

Yeah, I'm not really expecting them to beat the Phillies. But at least they haven't embarrassed themselves yet(*cough* Cubs *cough*). If they win one game out of five I will be happy. And even if they don't, I will still be happy because GOD DAMN IT THEY MADE THE PLAYOFFS!!