Thursday, September 20, 2007

Poll: What Do You Guys Want Me To Write About? (Round 1)

Don't worry, folks, I'm not bereft of ideas. Oh no, far from it. Obviously, I could write about any old subject that I damn well please, ad infinitum. However, given a choice, I'd rather write about subjects that my readers are going to find stimulating - or subjects that at the very least will generate fruitful discussions. I mean, hell, I could write about my top ten favorite Electric Light Orchestra songs if I really felt like it, but I don't think I'd get much of a response - at least not from this crowd. So I bring the question to you, my friends. What do you guys want me to write about?

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

1. Movie reviews
a) Movies from 2006: This is a series that I've already started. Should I keep going?
b) Movies from 2007: It's the time of year when the good movies start coming out. I could write on every movie right after I see it.
c) Older movies

2. Movie lists
a) Top 5/10/25 favorite movies by year/decade
b) Favorite directors
c) Favorite movies in a genre
d) Favorite movies by nationality
e) Favorite actors/actresses/screenwriters/cinematographers/key grips

3. Music reviews
a) Newer albums: You guys know I might not be able to go too far with this
b) Older albums
c) Album-by-album analyses of artists' discographies

4. Music Lists
a) Top 5/10/25 favorite albums by year/decade
b) Favorite artists
c) Favorite album covers/album titles
d) Favorite opening/closing songs
e) Favorite albums that are 8/9/10/11/12 songs long
f) Favorite double albums
g) Favorite "so bad they're good" lyricists

5. Essays
a) music history
b) movie history

6. Politics

7. Wikipedia entries that I find interesting

Obviously there's more where this came from. And I still reserve the right to post about silly little random shit every now and then. But all I'm saying is I'd rather not spend 20 hours working on a post that only Yoggoth is going to understand - at least not if I could write about something that roughly five of us will understand. Sound like a plan?

13 comments:

k'd cowan said...

Music History for $500, Alex. Telman and the Baroque history of musicians.

What other blogs do you read and/or comment on? I get yours fed to my email via RSS along with a few others. Mine is fed out through Atom and RSS, as well as FeedBlitz - makes it terribly easy to keep up on things.

Little Earl said...

Fed? Like intravenously? Sounds like I've got some blogosphere research to perform. I haven't been reading and/or commenting on too many other blogs, partly because I've been saving my energy for my own blog, and partly because I'm self-absorbed. But we'll see what we can do.

In the meantime: 1 vote for music history.

jin-hur said...

Any sort of movie review sounds fantastic, and do try to make others not like Yoggoth able to understand it please. Everytime he talks my head spins. (Or I have to look up stuff in Wikipedia, the horror!)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say obscure news stories. The more outrageous the better.

I want to hear your opinions on the cow in Nebraska that has held the state spitting record in both distance and accuracy for the last three years in a row, or the Brazilian tennis player who has a job delivering newspapers by hitting them with her racket. And if you can't find any news, just make some up. That's what the Chronicle does.

So step out of that self-absorbed box of yours and reach out and touch some people.

yoggoth said...

You are serious about your blogs k'd! I just try to remember urls and occasionally bookmark something.

Little Earl--You should write an article about music in 2007. I know you haven't listened to much if any and I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in the following in no particular order:
Movie reviews from 2007
Top albums by decade
Top movies by decade
Favorite 'so bad their good' lyricists

k'd cowan said...

Yog, it's as easy as this, find a page you like, copy the url, add to your free subscription on http://www.feedblitz.com (my preferred portal - there are others) -- then every time that page gets updated, you get an email with the updated content, you decide to click through or not and see the full monty.

Jason said...

I'd be interested in 2007 music/movie reviews. I'm out of the loop on what's in theaters these days, and I'm always looking for a place to geek out on new music that's not Pitchfork.

I also like interactive posts, like the "what are you reading" one. I'm self-absorbed but too lazy to start my own blog.

Little Earl said...

Well, what ARE you reading? You never actually told us.

Jason said...

haha, i knew you'd call me on that. i'm trying to get back into writing, so i just finished "On Becoming a Novelist" by John Gardner, which was way better than most books on writing. now i'm finishing Miranda July's book, and want to read a lot more short story collections.

also, Harry Potter: i read the first two books, which are really innocent, and today i accidentally heard about something really dark that happens in book 6, so now i have this strong urge to read 3-6 as fast as possible and see how on earth she gets there from where i am now. (does that make sense?)

Anonymous said...

[[Harry Potter: i read the first two books, which are really innocent, and today i accidentally heard about something really dark that happens in book 6, so now i have this strong urge to read 3-6 as fast as possible and see how on earth she gets there from where i am now. (does that make sense?)]]

Yes, it totally does. I'm at the end of the 5th book but a "friend" of mine blurted out what happens in the sixth book, wow I'm still annoyed at them.

Little Earl said...

Harry has prostate cancer!

Unknown said...

I am interested in more posts where you don't assume all your readers are unable to understand you, unwilling to do the research if they don't understand you and tell them you are going to write down to them. Also, have you seen the movie 'Deep Water'?