Saturday, June 9, 2007

Scraps to Feast Upon: Part Six

The Life and Trials of Phil Spector - Newsweek

You know, I find it pretty hard to sympathize with Phil Spector. He basically tried to run away from his problems instead of actually dealing with them. So when something like this happened he shouldn't have been surprised. I also don't hold his music in as high esteem as most rock scholars do, mostly because of his predilection for corny puppy love lyrics and his strong preference for mono over stereo. I can understand why Brian Wilson and John Lennon thought he was the best producer in the world, but to me, others improved upon his innovations. The dopey teen lyrics just strike me as Phil being dishonest with himself. I got the Back To Mono boxed set in college and made a mix of my favorite songs, but I never listened to it after making it. The only songs of Phil's that I still have in my collection are the Teddy Bears' "To Know Him Is To Love Him" and the Ronette's "Be My Baby." I probably like "Be My Baby" more because of Mean Streets than because of Phil. And "To Know Him Is To Love Him," his first major hit, is actually quite touching because "To Know Him Is To Love Him" were also the words inscribed on his father's tombstone. So his best song was his first, and everything else just exemplified his slide into a two-dimensional fantasy world.

"Truth Is, I'm the Same Guy I Always Was" - Newsweek

Another interesting Paul McCartney interview. I love his answer to the question about whether he thinks any of the "Beatlesque" bands have been any good. I agree. Except for Oasis (but I don't think Paul was referring to Oasis in that question). It's also kind of weird (and slightly annoying) how he plays right into the whole "John and I were best friends" thing as if George and Ringo were hardly in the picture at all. The more I learn, the more it seems like John was just as close to George and Ringo as he was to Paul, and Paul has kind of flattered himself by playing up the Lennon-McCartney union in his head a bit. Not a big crime but still a bit odd.

Police drummer rips band's "lame" concert - MSNBC

I don't know why, I just think the Police are so funny.

Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne Discuss the Long Road to Wilburys Re-issues- MSN Music

Or: The two least talented Wilburys talk about how they stumbled into the break of their lives

Arcade Fire, Wilco, Eminem Spread the Hate - Rolling Stone

This is just for the whole "arcadefirestolemybasketball" thing; blogging has truly gotten out of hand, folks.

Weekend Rock List: Great Songs on Bad Albums - Rolling Stone

"Song For Guy" is a good call, but I don't agree that Satanic Majesties is a bad album, or that "2000 Light Years" is the only good song on it.

How does a dirty word get that way? - Slate

And of course, another goodie from our favorite punching bag. There's nothing like a scholarly dissection of obscenities to induce a giggle.

No comments: