Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Glimpse into the Mind of...

I'm hard at work here in the heartland. I was looking at some of the notes I wrote down late last night while avoiding my real work. Here's a sample:

A problem with Shakespeare’s comedies: Normal -> Outlandish -> Normal
The Dramas, which go: Normal -> Outlandish -> Everyone Dies are more believable. The move at the end of the comedies to reinforce the social status quo seems contrived and unfortunate. Contrast this with the fablios of Chaucer. More risqué and more transgressive!

I also embarked on an effort to grade all the books I've ever read. Maybe I'll give an update on this when I'm further along.

7 comments:

Little Earl said...

Hey, that's funny, I was working on trying to grade all the places I've ever urinated.

As for the Shakespeare/Chaucer essay - talk about whetting the appetite! Hopefully you'll explain what a fablio is, at the very least.

yoggoth said...

I hate to sound sceptical but you must have urinated in a lot of places as an eagle scout.

If you don't know what a fablio is you will never ever know what a falio is.

yoggoth said...

Oh and it's not an essay. That's something that I wrote down while working on my Pamela/Moll Flanders essay.

Little Earl said...

So if that's a sample then when do we get the full excerpt?

I never really understood the point of Shakespeare's comedies either. They just seemed like an excuse to string a lot of nice poetry together. It's like he was saying, "Hey, watch, I can be lighthearted too."

yoggoth said...

And all the good parts in the comedies come when he's not being lighthearted. I think Midsummer Night's Dream is good but that's got Puck in it. By the end you don't even care what happens to the normal people. The fairies and the weird tradesmen are the interesting part.

Little Earl said...

He needed to put more snarky pop culture references in there.

yoggoth said...

Maybe he's got them in there and we just don't get them!