Monday, March 26, 2012

Eddie Rabbitt and Juice Newton Sing A Song From A Soap Opera

If you were an avid follower of Days Of Our Lives (I mean who wasn't?), then you would have heard a song performed on the show called "Friends And Lovers." When recorded by two of the show's actors, Gloria Loring and Carl Anderson, the song became a #2 hit in 1986.



Eddie Rabbitt and Juice Newton must have looked at each other and said, "Let's do that!" "You And I" had already been utilized on All My Children as a couple's "love theme." Rabbitt probably figured, "Hey, why wait for my hit duets to become soap opera songs when I could just ... turn soap opera songs ... into hit duets?"



That stroke of genius could have been enough to sustain lesser careers. But sadly, it wasn't quite enough for Rabbitt and Newton, who promptly proceeded to disappear from the cultural consciousness. Soap operas, however, have remained with us.

No comments: