Sunday, April 25, 2010

Thanks Stephen Hawking

You know, and I was just about to hang out with some aliens. But after reading this article, I'm starting to have second thoughts:
British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says aliens are out there, but it could be too dangerous for humans to interact with extraterrestrial life. Hawking claims in a new documentary that intelligent alien lifeforms almost certainly exist, but warns that communicating with them could be "too risky."
Damn! There go my plans for the weekend. This is sort of like someone telling you, "Hey, don't catch the flu." I'll see what I can do.

Personally, I don't believe that aliens exist, or at least not creatures with legs and eyes and such. To me it's one of those irrelevant questions. Say that aliens either do, or do not, exist. Am I supposed to do something different with my life? Sometimes I think our fear of "aliens" is really just our own sublimated fear of each other. I know most people find it hard to believe that humans are the only intelligent lifeforms in the entire universe, but I don't. And yes, JFK was assassinated by just some guy with a rifle. Sorry to be a party pooper.

2 comments:

Herr Zrbo said...

I think with the billions, if not trillions, of stars in the universe that there's gotta be some life out there. It's hard to imagine we're just the lucky freaks blessed with congnition.

Little Earl said...

I say imagine it. My feelings are basically as follows:

1) If aliens really existed, we would have already encountered them by now

2) If aliens exist, odds are they're hostile. Name me one instance in which a culture encountered another completely foreign culture for the first time and it turned out well. Sorry Spielberg, I'm not buying that Richard Dreyfuss, Devil's Tower shit.

I say we ought to confront the mysterious aliens all around us, i.e. ourselves and our fellow human beings!